Some of the content on our website may contain affiliate links. You can read our affiliate disclosure here.
Every business needs and should have regular website maintenance. Today your website is often the first impression potential customers get of you. Not only that, your website is accessible by anyone with an Internet connection, anywhere in the world! So if you’re going to be in business and have an online presence, you’ll need to keep your website maintained, up to date and fresh at all times.
Importance of Regular Website Maintenance
Do you have a website maintenance team? Because you should and here are some reasons why!
1. Keep Your Visitors Interested
Your website is your online storefront and you have to keep your visitors interested. Routinely featuring creative content such as images, text, and graphics among others that relate to your niche or market can improve consumer engagement. Although, the frequency of updates will depend on the nature of your business.
Also, it’s important that on-going improvements to the user experience are made to your site because it’s a tool for capturing and retaining customers. Important touch points should be optimized to increase your conversion rates.
2. Improve Search Engine Visibility
One of the best ways to maintain good positions on search engine results pages (SERPs) is regular website maintenance. Search engines are more interested in websites that are active, which is measured by a number of factors and one of them is how often your site’s updated.
Active sites are often shown preference on the search results in most niches because their content is more likely up to date, relevant and satisfactory to a searcher.
3. Adding Your Products or Solutions
Business is always moving and we often alter or improve our products to meet the demands of consumers. When you’ve got a new item and it isn’t listed on your website, you’re missing out on sales and not using the promotional power of your site. Your new products or promos need to be added to your site in a timely manner and having a website maintenance team helps you do that.
4. Keep Your Website Up to Date With Changing Technology
Just like your industry, web technology is constantly changing and keeping up with them is advantageous. Having regular website maintenance ensures that your site is always up to modern standards.
A professionally maintained website ensures good functionality and a pleasant user experience (UX). When your site is optimal, it means that internal links are working, page load time is fast and customer inquiries are received on time. When your visitors enjoy a good experience, they’re more likely to return and become paying customers.
5. Corporate Identity
Dead pages, server errors, broken links, outdated information, grammatical errors, horrible web design etc. All of these and more will project a sloppy corporate image, which can cause you to lose customers. Routine maintenance ensures that these issues are addressed before they’re spotted.
What Every Website Maintenance Service Must Include
Effective website-maintenance should cover the following key business areas.
- Website copy creation/polishing – This ensures that your copy is able to sell your products or services effectively.
- Publishing – In most cases, there should be a content strategy in place for attracting the interest of consumers.
- Quality management – Everything you publish on your website should undergo a quality check first.
- Comments/feedback moderating and monitoring – These should be monitored and moderated accordingly to preserve brand image.
- Design maintenance – Although your website design doesn’t have to change often, the internal code that makes the site function should be regularly maintained and updated where necessary to improve usability.
- Website performance monitoring – Important key performance indicators like website traffic, the location of your visitors and conversion actions must be tracked.
- Regular maintenance of web pages – Pages should be routinely re-analyzed and tested for any potential issues such as broken links.
- Risk control and redundancy measures – Regular backups of your entire site should be made and potential legal issues addressed.
- Optimization of web pages for search engine discovery – All content should be optimized for easy discovery by search engines like Google and Bing because consumers use them to find products, including information.
Think we might be a good fit for your business needs? Let’s talk.
Last Updated on June 11, 2019